Translate

Monday, September 9, 2019

Grades in Phoenix & Word Study

Hi Families,

I hope everyone had a nice start to the week! I just wanted to let you know that I am starting to put grades in Phoenix. I wanted to let you know how 5th grade documents grades in Phoenix, in case it is different compared to last year. I will be taking two forms of assessments, formative and summative:

  • Formative grades are those I take from worksheets, exit tickets, etc. These grades are weighted as 0 in the grade book, meaning that they are not calculated into your child's final grade. The purpose of these grades is to show progress through a unit. The highest score I will give a child on a formative assessment is a 3, because no level 4 question was provided. I will also add notes next to a grade if the child is falling below the standard so that you understand what they are struggling with. I use formative assessments to plan who I will pull to reteach during independent work time. Formative grades will be labeled as FORMATIVE in Phoenix. 
  • Summative grades are those students get when taking end of Unit tests. These are counted towards a student's final grade. The highest score a child can receive is a 4 because there will be a level 4 question on the test. These show the level of student mastery of a standard within the different content areas. Most summative assessments will be completed online, with their level 4 being written on paper. A rubric with their score breakdown and Level 4 answer will be sent home in Thursday folders to communicate their grade with you. Summative grades will be labeled SUMMATIVE in Phoenix. 
I am starting to put formative grades into Phoenix for Science (scientific investigations), Reading (figurative language), and Math (even, odd, prime, composite). Check over them to see how your child is doing meeting the current standards we are learning. Remember that Google Classroom has review materials that students can use to help them prepare for summative assessments coming up at the end of the week. Graded papers will be sent home in Thursday folders so that you may review the score with your child. If you have any questions about grading or your child's grade, please let me know. 

Word Study
Students are coming home with their word study journals today. They will take their first word study test on Friday, September 20th (our word study tests are every two weeks). Students need to be able to sort their words based on syllables, spell them correctly, use them in sentences, and come up with new words that could match the rules of their sort. I gave students a list of ideas in their notebook that they can use to practice their words. They can choose to complete however many activities as they would like. Please note that I DO NOT expect them to complete word study homework nightly. It is important that they are practicing sorting and spelling their words, but they can choose to do that in whatever way works for them. I suggest that they complete 6 activities within the 2 week period, but if they can learn their words using less activities, then I am fine with that. The point is that they practice and are prepared for their test! 

As always, please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. I look forward to speaking with you soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment